This Gibson Les Paul Standard took a fall, sustaining multiple fractures along with a break at the headstock. This kind of break often requires a few steps to repair properly. First, I glue the break along the fingerboard where it's fractured. I prefer a quality hide glue, it is strong, easy to work with and does an excellent job. Where the fractures were too tight for the hide glue, I used Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) to bond them. After that I move on to the main break at the headstock.
After the glue had time to set, I will touch-up the break area. The customer wanted to retain the worn look on the neck. So that meant, I needed to spray over the break, matching the transparent finish best I could. I start with sanding out the break line so it is smooth to the touch. It took more sanding than originally anticipated because so much finish was missing around the fractured area.
To build up the finish, I start with clear coat which also seals the wood grain, and it bonds to the existing finish. After that I build up the transparent cherry finish. It's near impossible to not make the existing finish darker but I found a good balance between the two. Airbrushing would be the choice in this case for finely touching up the exposed areas.
Once satisfied with the back, I need to turn it over and tackle the cracked veneer.
Just like the back, I sand out the clear coat until the blemishes are gone. Then I build up the clear coat again, then buff it out.
This Tak had fallen and been fixed once before. The trick with that is to clean the old glue out best possible, but that can be a real challenge - depending on the type of glue used. I used hot water and a brush which was fairly effective in this case. Although not known for sure, it appeared to be white or yellow wood glue.
Because of it's history, I chose to use epoxy so that I'd feel confident it wouldn't open up again. Pics below show sanding out the blemishes and cracks.
And the end product after spraying. Turned out pretty good!
Ouch! This came in earlier in the year and was quite an interesting project. Besides repairing the break, we're also going to touch-up the finish to make it look as good as possible, considering what happened. Thankfully for the nitrocellulose type of finish, it came back together fairly well with just a couple war wounds to show & tell...
Gluing 'er back together was the easy part - we'll want to be sure the neck still straight in the joint with the body before it sets or else it's botched. Where it got tricky was the touch-up work. First is matching the tone of the black. You would think black would be quite easy, but it actually can be quite difficult. Black can have other colors come through like blue or purple, which isn't obvious until you start comparing them side by side, or spray by spray in this case.....
Without going to the lengths of a full refinish, it turned out alright!