So I'll leave it up to your imagination with this one... What's amazing about this is just how many pieces it shattered into. Our customer just wants it playing again, so all we need to do is glue it back together. Easy. Right?
Part two. That was the hard part. Mainly because the guitar broke in such a way the pieces were not lining up as well as hoped. Clamping surface is minimal which makes it quite difficult. There is also the possibility we didn't have all the pieces....
Part three, the most difficult. Other then making some massive jigs to clamp the guitar together, I decided to use a clamping system that would essentially do the same. Because of the delicate nature of this repair, it was an efficient choice in getting the job done without needing maximum clamping power.
And there we have it, a real survivor of rock n' roll. And if you're wondering, yeah it does kick ass.
So there were a few pieces missing... but we did have enough to work with. Just enough... Next we're going to install all the hardware and wire it up. Our customer brought in a transparent pickguard to show this piece of work off.
Here's an example of a small fix to get that guitar in working order once again. This may have looked like a lost cause to some but it's definitely not the case. This parlor size Simon & Patrick came in from a school, took a hit at the butt end and the top separated- No damage to the binding or bracing! The school just needed it back in working order, so we applied a little glue & clamps and it's doing good again.
This old Regal's bridge had been pullup up off the soundboard for years. Because of this, the bridge itself has actually warped and will need to be treated before it can be reinstalled. The guitar also has numerous cracks needing repair.
These guitars weren't top quality to start with so removing the bridge shouldn't be a problem. You can see in the pictures that there are two screws that need to be removed first. Once removed it pried right off. No heat needed (never force off a bridge- always use heat as required).
To treat the bridge, I soak it and press it back into shape. This will insure it seats on the guitar properly. Before gluing, score the underside of the bridge and guitar to to give the glue a better hold.
This Tak had fallen and been fixed once before. The trick with that is to clean the old glue out best possible, but that can be a real challenge - depending on the type of glue used. I used hot water and a brush which was fairly effective in this case. Although not known for sure, it appeared to be white or yellow wood glue.
Because of it's history, I chose to use epoxy so that I'd feel confident it wouldn't open up again. Pics below show sanding out the blemishes and cracks.
And the end product after spraying. Turned out pretty good!