This old Gibson came in with a few different problems. First off the bridge was lifting and the owner was concerned that it would get worse. After looking inside I could also see how chewed up the bridge plate was. It was so bad that it wasn't holding the ball ends of the strings very well any more. As you can see in the pic, that bridge plate hugs the bracing perfectly, which would make removing it incredibly difficult. I chose to use a Plate Mate, which could only improve the sound of the guitar. The Plate Mate is a brass plate that covers over the bridge plate - alleviating the need to remove it altogether. The other issue was a severely bellied top (the reason why the bridge was lifting). The bellied top made the action quite high. I only know of a couple ways to correct a bellied top, and chose to install a JLD Bridge Dr.
First trick in removing this bridge was to heat it up with an iron so that the glue melts enough to slice through it with a palette knife. This bridge was a breeze to remove.
What I discovered when I removed the bridge, was that it was cracked! Right along the saddle slot (from the stress of the bellied top). Now we need to replace the bridge as well.
After gluing (hyde glue) and clamping, I install the Plate Mate, and JLD BRidge Dr. Now these two devices aren't necessarily designed to work together, but with a little modification it worked, and worked well! I honestly have never heard a Gibson Acoustic with more tone and volume then this one after all that work was done! Played great too!